There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Clegg Reveals House of Lords White Paper

Deputy PM Nick Clegg today revealed the coalition govt's plans for a radical reform of the House of Lords. Clegg emphasised throughout his speech that these were draft plans and the Government were open to alternative views on the Bill.

The key proposals are:

- The first democratic elections for a new chamber would take place in 2015
- The upper house will be made of 300 full time members
- The bill makes provision for 80% of members to be elected with the remaining 20% appointed independently.
- The 60 appointed members would sit as cross benchers not as representatives of a political party.
- The White Paper also includes a provision for a wholly elected second chamber.

To read the Bill click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment